Saturday, October 8, 2011

Demon child!...


Ok, maybe it isn't that extreme but Danny has been trying my patience lately. It isn't just the scary things he does by just being a little boy and usually being far too curious with his adventures. No, now he's taking along his brothers as his culprits in crime.

Twice in the last two weeks, the geldings and Dan have been out of their pasture and exploring the greener grass on the other side of the fence when I've gone over to feed them in the mornings. Thankfully, the big gate blocks the drive to the road when it's pushed open so I don't have to worry about them getting into traffic so much. I'm not saying that they couldn't do it but it would take more effort than they are generally willing to put out without encouragement.

Steve has, for weeks, been promising to replace the rope which held the gate with chain (started to say unbreakable chain but I wouldn't put anything past Dan at this point) but you know how that goes. He is always so busy but he did at least buy the chain which is a good thing because we've moved beyond just  breaking or untying the rope, which is what I thought they did the second time. I tied a square knot and thought that I'd cut the rope if I needed to get them out of the pasture (I never use the gate and simply climb under the fence to enter and exit the pasture). Now, it looks as if someone chewed the rope in two. I'll give you three guesses as to whom I suspect but I'm betting you only use one. Steve called me this morning to say that they were out again. He immediately started to work on the chains and fasteners for the gates while I gathered the sweet feed. All I had to do was whistle and unlike Slim in To Have and Have Not, I do know how because the horses have given me lots of practice.

So I put my lips together and blow and who do your think was leading the herd as they came galloping off of the hillside? None other than the same one who most likely chewed the rope in two that led to their escape and also probably led them out of the open gate. Yeah, it was Danny Manny and he was just acting as if this was the usual morning routine, the arrogant little booger. Of course, he looked so pretty running down that hillside with his head and ears held high that I instantly forgave him. He's getting so big, too. He seems to be as tall as the other two now but his legs are longer and his body still much slimmer. I'd better get control of this young one now before he figures out that he's bigger than me!

No comments:

Post a Comment