Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Vistitors' Log


Patty Watson-Pulignano came by for a visit today. I'd like to think that at least part of the reason for our increase in guests is me but I know better. It's all because of Danny. My sweet boy was on his best behavior. He's getting shyer but it didn't take long before he warmed up to Patty and was trying to get her attention. Mouse let us play with him for a while and then called him back in. I told Patty that she's welcome back anytime. She's a photographer and she's more than welcome to take photos of my handsome herd of horses anytime she wants. As for Danny, I think he needs an appointment book for all of his fans.

I made a mistake with Danny yesterday. It wasn't my first and I know it won't be my last but it still upsets me. His new leather halter came in. He didn't want any part of it and was fighting me the entire time I was trying to putg it on him. He started jerking his head about the second I slipped it over his nose. I had a hard time buckling it and then he bolted out into the field. The idea of him running loose in the pasture in an ill fitting halter scared me and I worried about the little lead thingie hanging down from the center ring frightening him.  I tried to take it off right after putting it on which  only upset him more. He jerked his head and the halter went flying and I'm thinking disaster. I thought I'd never get it back on him again but I spoke with Huston this afternoon and he told me to just give him a few days and then gently introduce it. He also said that I should leave it on him all day long so that he can get use to it. He then gave me advice on teaching Danny to lead. I don't know what I'd do without Huston and the wealth of information and horse knowledge he has to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment